Every year, we create a signature cocktail that we unveil in our annual proclamations
The R.U.M. Old Fashioned
We, the Krewe of R.U.M., will share one such potent antidote that is certain to cure almost anything that ails ye. Behold, the R.U.M. Old Fashioned:
A shaker or stirring glass 2 parts Dark rum (Zacapa, Brugal 1888, Diplomatico Reserva)
A bar or teaspoon 2 dashes Angostura or Orange Bitters
splash of water
1 tsp sugar or a sugar cube
4-5 cubed ice
To garnish: Orange peel
1. Add the sugar cube/granulated sugar and Angostura Bitters to a rocks glass with a single ice cube
2. Stir the mix until the ice cube has melted enough to dissolve the sugar – if you’re using a sugar cube you’ll need to crush it
3. Add another 4 ice cubes and half of a good Dark rum then stir for around 60 seconds
4. Top up the glass with more ice and add the rest of the Dark rum, then stir for another 60 seconds
5. Cut a piece of orange peel about the size of your thumb (be careful not to bend it yet). Hold the piece of orange peel over the glass and bend it to release some oil into the drink
6. Add the orange peel to the drink, stir a couple more times, serve & you will be cured
The Rampart Street Car
We, the Krewe of R.U.M., will share one such potent antidote that is certain to cure almost anything that ails ye. Below is a version of a classic Sidecar and a twist on Tony Abou-Ganim’s, (the Modern Mixologist) Cable Car recipe.
As an ode to the new Rampart Street Car, with Louisiana ingredients, this is the perfect rum cocktail when sitting on Rampart St, watching the red Street Car travel through the Quarter into the Marigny, close to the start of the Bywater.
A shaker 1 1/2 ounces Bayou Spiced Rum
Martini Glass 3/4 ounce Bayou Satsuma Rum
1 1/2 ounces fresh lemon sour
Orange peel for garnish
Cinnamon & sugar for rimming
1. Combine the cinnamon and sugar on a small plate. Run the lemon wedge around the edge of a martini glass, then dip the glass in the cinnamon-sugar mixture to rim.
2. Pour the ingredients into a cocktail shaker filled with ice & shake well.
3. Strain into the prepared glass.
4. Garnish with an orange peel spiral & drink!
Partly Cloudy with a Chance of Speaking Up
We, the Krewe of R.U.M. share our Annual Rum Cocktail – one such potent antidote that is certain to cure almost anything that ails ye. Behold, a powerful elixir:
Ingredients – To be mixed in a highball glass
2 oz Rum (Old New Orleans Amber or Cajun Spiced)
2 dashes Angostura or Orange Bitters
Gingeroo (a Ginger Beer/Rum Cocktail mix)
1. Fill highball glass with ice
2. Add Dark or Cajun Spiced Rum and top with Gingeroo.
3. Garnish with lime wedge.